Sunday, September 4, 2011

First Impressions

I have been in France for 10 days now.  I still have trouble remembering that I am here sometimes, because it is just SO COOL to be studying abroad.  This is a phenomenal opportunity, and I am very lucky to have it.  I am settled in to my orientation and homestay in Tours, France, where I will be until Friday (the 9th), when I go to Paris.  It has been nice to get to know everyone in our group before we all move to Paris and are much more spread out in a big city.  


My days in Tours are filled with class in the morning and sightseeing and excursions on the weekends and in afternoons.  I have loved every minute of it! Below are photos of the more memorable moments. 




Settling in and getting a good night's sleep to recover from jet lag
Orientation meetings and basic French classes with other Sweet Briar Students at the Institute de Touraine  

Visit to Amboise, a château of François I and his wife Claude de Bretagne, and Clos-Lucé, where François I paid Leonardo di Vinci to live so that he could enjoy good company and good conversation.  

Leonardo died at Clos Lucé and is buried in the chapel at Amboise. 

Da Vinci's residence has beautiful gardens, the town is charming, and the château has an amazing view of the Loire river and surrounding countryside.

Enjoying EXCELLENT French cuisine with my great host family in Tours, and even trying new foods (I know, shocking).
Bike rental and ride to see Villandry, a château with BEAUTIFUL gardens that is 21km from Tours by bike path.  
Our Loire-à-Vélo trip took us on a scenic path with a view of the Cher river and beautiful countryside on a gorgeous day!

We saw "Tu Seras Mon Fils", a french drama about a family vineyard and the inheritance of the business. French cinema is much different from American cinema, it turns out. 
Cooking class... followed by apple-pie-eating :) 
Wine and cheese tasting at the Institute, organized by the program.  We learned how to taste wines and sampled cheeses from regions of France while learning a bit of the history of both industries in France. 

Excursion to Chenonceau, which was my favorite of the châteaux that we saw. It had beautiful grounds and was furnished fully, so it was easy to imagine how life there may have been! 
Trip to Chambord and Blois, both royal châteaux.  Chambord was built by François I as a hunting lodge and has pristine grounds and an impressive exterior.
Blois, unlike other châteaux of the region, is in the center of a city. It also has a unique story, with many rulers leaving their marks, as shown by the four completely distinct architectural styles in the building (only 3 are visible here, though).
Shopping at the "Braderie de Tours," a street sale where individuals, street vendors, and retail stores alike set up shop on the main streets of the city and put items for sale.  It was rainy at first, but turned out to be a great day! 
Spending time around Tours, enjoying time with new friends and acquaintances while exploring the city and enjoying the generally good weather that we have had!

I will try to keep the posts fairly regular, but no guarantees!  I am also going to try to include a fun fact or anecdote about France, french culture, or my experiences in each post.  Here goes!


Fun Fact 1: Franklin & Marshall may just be the best known American college in France.  Or so it would seem, judging by the number of "Franklin and Marshall" sweatshirts, t-shirts, letter jackets, hats, bags, etc. one might see on a daily basis.  Turns out, a designer here saw the school and decided to turn it into a clothing line.  None of the items are actually associated with the school, but it is a huge fad at the moment.  It is presumably this fad that led street vendors to market items like the one below. We are still trying to figure out what kind of school could have no name, yet be called both a college and a university! 
                            

Anyway, it is late here and I have class in the morning! I will write again soon! ~SKS




1 comment: