Monday, December 5, 2011

Family

When I was in high school, I had a wonderful opportunity to study abroad in St. Brieuc, Bretagne, France with the Indiana University Honors Program in Foreign Languages.  The experience is one that I will not forget.  It changed my perspective on so many things and forced me to grow.  It is thanks in large part to that program that I am still taking French and studying abroad now.  A major factor in why I loved my summer in St. Brieuc so much was my host family.  They were a real blessing, and an answer to my mother's prayers for a welcoming family into which I fit perfectly!  Leaving their driveway in 2008, even when I was in the car with my parents (who had come to visit after the program ended and were able to meet my family), I still cried; I was worried that I would never see these people with whom I had been so close for 8 weeks again.  

Happily, this fear was unwarranted.  I kept contact with them after I left, was able to visit them last summer for a few days, and have been planning to spend a weekend with them during this semester.  This weekend I (finally) had the opportunity to visit them!  As everyone is older now, the family is a bit more spread out, with the oldest, my brother Yoann, teaching in a high school and middle school in Brest, my sister Klervi in her first year of college preparing to be a doctor in Rennes, and the youngest, my sister Sterenn, at a boarding high school for the week and only home on the weekends.  I was really lucky as, for the first time in several months, ALL of my former host siblings were home! I really felt like little had changed.  As soon as I walked in the door, it was just like I was home.  (Only one slight difference - when I was there before, I was actually staying in Yoann's room, and going up the stairs and turning directly into his bedroom proved to be a hard habit to break.  I never actually went in, but it did cause some laughs when it took me a few seconds to realize what I had done!) 

This weekend was really relaxing and great fun.  It was so good to see everyone again!  It had been a year and a half since I had seen any of them, and since Klervi was in Florida studying abroad when I was there last summer, it had been 3 and a half years since I had seen her!  Our time together felt exactly the same as spending time with family that you haven't seen in a while.  In fact, my host mom introduced me to a friend of hers in saying, "This is an American host student that lived with us three years ago and now she is part of our family."  I loved that this weekend gave me the opportunity to reconnect with them, and, furthermore, to be reminded that 'family' doesn't always have to mean the people that you are actually related to!  I am really blessed to have great family on both sides of the Atlantic!! 


On Friday, I met with some friends to experience Angelina, which is a café that is best known for it's hot chocolate and delectable desserts.  You may be able to see how thick the hot chocolate is... it tasted DELICIOUS, just like melted chocolate.  We actually think it may be that, as it became solid as it cooled.  The Dessert was a chocolate cake covered with chocolate mousse, which was then covered in chocolate fondant-y covering (the square part) and then that was topped with chocolate ganache.  My Ransford side definitely came through as I powered through the chocolate!  


It was a great day for a walk around the city afterwards (especially since we had so much chocolate to work off!) so we wandered to Place Vendôme.  This square is now known for the luxury shops that are there, and for the Ritz hotel.  

Fun Fact #34: The column in Place Vendôme was erected by Naploéon to commemorate the Battle of Austerlitz but was torn down in May of 1861.  It has (obviously) since been re-erected.  I wonder where they kept it when it wasn't on display! 


As we wandered further, this statue of Jeanne d'Arc caught my eye as it glowed in the sun! This is directly across from the Tuileries Gardens, which are in front of the Louvre.  

On the first Friday of every month, the Cathedral of Notre Dame holds an elaborate service for the adoration of some of its' most precious relics, which include bits of the cross that Jesus died on and the crown of thorns that he wore.  My friend and I went to check it out.  While I am not convinced that the relics are really what they claim to be, it was still impressive to see so many people in the church and to see the elaborate ceremony.  Regardless of whether or not they are real, they are pretty strong symbol of faith. In this picture, people are lining up to kiss the crown of thorns.  Imagine it with incense everywhere and hymns, sung by nuns and monks and accompanied by the organ, with sunlight coming in through stained glass windows. 

Fun Fact #35: The Catholic Church, despite 'numerous studies and historical and scientific research efforts' has been unable to prove the authenticity of the Crown, but still continues the services since the crown has been an object of adoration and a symbol of Christian theology for 16 centuries.  


A picture to end the wonderful weekend reconnecting with family! Left to right, my mom, Marie-Helène, Maeve (Yoann's girlfriend), Klervi, Yoann, Me, and Sterenn! It was so great to see them!! 

Remember to be thankful for your family this week! 

~SKS~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment