Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Magic of Paris

We are in the Christmas season, and one of my favorite Christmas tales is The Polar Express.  My first memory of the story is from my first grade class, when Mrs. Shubat read the book to us, but I also enjoyed the movie.  For some reason, that story always warms my heart.  I especially love the last lines: "At one time, most of my friends could hear the bell, but as the years passed, it fell silent for all of them.  Even [his sister] Sarah found one Christmas that she could no longer hear its' sweet sound.  Though I've grown old, the bell still rings for me, as it does for all who truly believe." 

In a way, Paris is a little bit like that bell.  The city really is magical in its' beauty and its' unique charm.  When we first arrived, everyone was simply thrilled to be in Paris.  We were excited about the museums, monuments, cafés, and culture that we would have access to, and about the freedom and independence that our NaviGo cards (metro passes) gave us.  Everything was new and exciting and beautiful, and we all truly believed in the magic of Paris.  I remember waking up and looking out my window at the very top of the Eiffel Tower (the only part that I could see when the leaves were still on the trees) every morning, and then looking at it every night before bed.  I loved to look out and see it - just a little reminder that I was in fact in Paris, like pinching myself to be sure I wasn't dreaming, but without the annoying little pain on my forearm.  Looking out my window at the tower was for me what ringing the bell was for the little boy from The Polar Express: a little gesture to be sure that I still believed in the magic. 

In a city as amazing as Paris, I thought the magic would always be there.  I really didn't think that looking out the window for the top of the Eiffel Tower would ever get old, and it didn't exactly, but at some point, I somehow stopped noticing.  When I got up in the morning, I still looked out the window, but rather than looking towards the Tower, I would look down at the street, checking the weather by looking to see whether people had coats on or umbrellas with them.  Then, I looked out my window one night this week and saw almost the whole Eiffel Tower, which was sparkling since it was 9:00 PM, that I realized I had stopped looking at it daily, and hadn't even noticed when the leaves had fallen, leaving much more of it exposed.  

At first, I was disappointed, thinking that I had stopped seeing the magic. The times when I had gotten upset at the crowds, or the metro, or little cultural differences rushed into my head. I thought about how, throughout the semester, more and more American students seemed to have stopped believing in the magic of Paris, just like the boy's friends who stopped hearing the bell. But when I looked out my window and saw the Eiffel Tower sparkling, even on a cloudy night, it brought a smile to my face, and I slowed down to watch it for a few more seconds.  It was then that I realized that just because I had stopped looking for the magic every day didn't mean I was no longer capable of seeing it.  After all, the little boy still hears his magic bell as he grows old, even though he probably doesn't ring it every day. By stopping to watch the Eiffel Tower sparkle that night, I proved to myself that I still believe in the magic of Paris, and in my last week here, I intend to look for that magic every single day!


On Tuesday, I went with my friend Anna to Café de Flore.  Those who are interested in the impressionist movement or early 20th century thinkers (or those of you who have seen Midnight in Paris), may recognize the name.  This café, along with it's neighbor and biggest rival Les Deux Magots, became a popular meeting place for authors, painters, and celebrities alike in the 1920's and 30's, and still draws tourists today! Plus, the hot chocolate was amazing (though admittedly not as good as Angelina's). 

Fun Fact #36: The Prix de Flore, a literary prize which was founded in 1994 by Frédéric Beigbeder, is awarded each year in a ceremony in the Café.  The prize celebrates young authors of works in French and is awarded by a panel of journalists. 


Friday, I went to visit Printemps and Galeries Lafayette, which are both HUGE, famous department stores on Boulevard Haussmann in Paris' 8th arrondissement.  Both stores have really cool architecture, and since both stores have impressive Christmas decorations, it is the perfect season to visit.  The 5 story (fake) tree in Galeries Lafayette is probably the most impressive display. This year's theme is Rock'n Mode (Rockin' Fashion).  Besides the beautiful decorations and architecture, the many designer store displays added to the beauty... who wouldn't want Chanel under their tree? 

Fun Fact #37:  The food in these places was actual, quality food... I guess I should have anticipated.  They each had their own restaurant, and as of December 1st, Galeries Lafayette even boasts a branch of Angelina café!  


I took this photo when I looked out my window to see the Eiffel Tower sparkling! It does this for five minutes on the hour at 20h, 21h, 22h, 23h, 0h and 1h every night! 


Saturday night, I went to Le Relais de Venise with my friends.  We got there at 19h and waited in line to eat until about 20h.  It was chilly, but with good conversation the time passed quickly, and in any case the food was so worth it! My friend Sarah and I had been before, but Adrian and Matthias were first-time visitors! Everyone agreed that it was delicious, and it was a really great night! 

Sorry there weren't too many interesting pics this week... I could have showed you pictures of what I have been up to, but I didn't think photos of me preparing for a lit paper, history essay test, art history paper, art history test, grammar test, or a grammar writing test (last Tuesday, last Wednesday, tomorrow, also tomorrow, Tuesday, and Wednesday, respectively) would be of much interest! Luckily I finish on Wednesday and will have Thursday - Saturday to soak up as much of Paris as possible before I head home!!! 

Make it a great week! 
~SKS~


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for keeping your blog. It has been so nice hearing about your study abroad experience. You are a good girl Sarah. Did you do anything wrong while you were there? I bet your host mom will miss you. See you soon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete